“In a world where you can be anything, be kind.”
Kindness - it truly is a simple act that we should all adopt throughout our day. In fact, performing acts of kindness, or even just witnessing it, can produce oxytocin which is also referred to as the love hormone. Releasing this love hormone helps lower blood pressure and also improves our overall heart-health. Oxytocin also increases our self-esteem and optimism, which is extra helpful when we're stressed in our daily lives.
Simple acts of love and kindness can start with you to help brighten anyone’s day, including your own. With a few small acts of goodwill, you can help make our world a better place. Here are just a few simple ways for how you can share love and kindness with those around you.
Simple Acts of Kindness
- Compliment a Stranger - Who doesn’t love a nice compliment? It can be even more rewarding when given to a total stranger. By simply saying a nice thing to someone else, you can brighten their whole day. We encourage you to do this early in the morning to set the tone for the rest of your day. The stranger will feel grateful and noticed and it will bring joy to your morning as well.
- Warm Meal - Buy a warm meal for someone in need like the homeless. Rather than giving them money, actually bring them the meal so they can enjoy it right away.
- Fresh Flowers - The smell of fresh-cut flowers will put a smile on anyone’s face. Donate a bouquet of flowers to a nursing home where many can enjoy the beautiful arrangement.
- Tip of the Day - Be extra generous with your server by giving a nice tip and a handwritten note thanking them for all they do. Being a waiter, especially nowadays, is harder than ever. They need all of the grace and encouragement they can get.
- Return the Cart - Help out busy moms at the grocery store by simply returning their carts for them so they can handle getting their kids safely buckled in their car seats. You will be a lifesaver!
- Drop Some Coins - Put coins in expired meters to help others from getting a parking ticket. We know how those can be such a pain to deal with.
- Give Blood - Blood drives are always in need of donations. Donate your blood today and you might save someone’s life.
- Animal Shelter - Give old blankets, sheets, or towels to a local animal shelter. They are always in need of supplies to keep the animals warm and comfortable while waiting for their forever home. If you’re feeling truly generous adopt a pet! They’ll be so grateful, and you’ll have a new best friend to share your home with.
- Morning Treats for the Office - Surprise your coworkers with a morning treat of donuts, bagels, croissants, coffee, etc. It’s a great way to start the day and earn some extra points with your piers.
- Friendly Neighbor - Offer to help out your neighbor by mowing their lawn, bringing in their trash cans, walking their dog, babysitting, etc. It’s a great way to build a deeper connection with those that live next to you.
- Call a Loved One - Pick up the phone (don’t send a text) and call your mom, dad, cousin, best friend from high school, whoever you may be missing. It’s always nice to catch up and hear someone’s voice to brighten their day and yours.
- Buy a Gift Card - Surprise someone with a mini-shopping spree by getting them a gift card. At Yak & Yeti, we have a wide range of gift options from men and women’s clothing, home decor, accessories, and more!
We hope these ideas will help spark some kindness and also make you feel a little special too! What are some other ways to share your kind heart with the world? We would love to hear your suggestions in the comment box below!